Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Favorite Painting Spot





The Ever Changing Georgia Landscape

When I moved my family to Georgia in 1982 it didn't take long to find the one spot that would inspire me to paint the Vanishing Rural Georgia scene. It was Nolan Corners near Bostwick Georgia where an old plantation house and sharecropper shacks were still in existence. Since I began drawing and painting the various buildings surrounding the area, one-by-one they have been disappearing. The first to fall down and get hauled off was the tool shed that I named "Out Behind the House". That vanished around 1986 when the shed collapsed leaving only the roof for a year or so, then that too was gone.
The main plantation house was being renovated and I captured the partial repainting in "Window on Georgia" in 1984. Since then the entire house has been painted bit not renovated. A tree limb went through the roof in the early 90's and rain entered the building for many months. Some of the glass windows have been broken and, although the building still stands, it won't be too long before it's eventual collapse.
The sharecropper's shack that I painted in "Gone But Not Forgotten" collapsed months after I painted the window and I was compelled to do the complete building from an old photos I had taken.
I have also completed a couple pen and ink drawings of the Nolan buildings and a pencil that I did of the overseers' home for the Nolan family never was photographed. There are still a couple buildings left and the lay of the land still makes an interesting landscape scene. I know that, when the old plantation mansion goes, it will surely be the end of an era.

No comments: