Sunday, February 28, 2010

Visions of America Opening

New Show Opening in Union Point Georgia

After months of preparation my new show "Visions of America" has finally opened at the Point of Art Gallery in Union Point GA. Most of the folks who know and have collected my works over the years expect more works in egg tempera, primarily of old farmhouses, barns, etc. Well, long before I began painting in egg tempera (for about 30 years now), as well as concentrating on the Georgia farmlands and buildings, I painted mostly in oils and alkyds. And I usually painted nature scenes as well as portraits on commission including the late actor Jack Palance.

For this new show I decided to take a painting holiday to places that my wife Jewel and I had visited over the years. I used old photos and sketches I had done of the Tetons, Acadia National Park, Florida coast, my growing up place in Pennsylvania and, of course Georgia too as my inspiration for this current crop of paintings.


The reception proved that my peers and fans liked the looser oils painted with both brush and knife. Many questions were posed about why I now paint with oils but the truth is, I like switching between oils, egg tempera, pen and ink, pastel, charcoal. Both my mood and the subject matter dictates to me what medium I'll use. Over the years I've tried almost all available painting and drawing mediums and I like them all for different reasons. The egg tempera and pen and inks allow me to do great detail while the oils, pastel, charcoal help me to get more expressive. I painted the Anna Ruby Falls painting mostly with a pallet knife (I didn't have a painting knife available). What fun that was. I am currently working on a sister painting to it with Tulula Gorge as the main subject.
Well, anyway, I appreciate the fans of my work including constructive critical remarks, and I am always thrilled when I sell a painting. Sold 3 during the opening. The Point of Art Gallery owners, Anne Jenkins and Lee Nelson really know how to generate interest in their exhibiting artists work. Anne is an accomplished painter herself and whenever any art lover visits the Gallery, they are treated to a new show and Anne's great paintings. This is a great place to see art and get information on the Georgia Lake Country area.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Pete - WOW! What a tribute to you! The turn out at Anne Jenkins' Pointe of Art Gallery in Union Pointe last week was nothing short of phenomenal! Your paintings were a tribute to the breadth and depth of your talent! A sincere thanks to all who helped bring this together, especially your #1 & #2 "cheerleaders" Jewell & Karen Strelecki! And, of course, Anne's husband who so graciously opened their studio and home to all! What a glorious evening!

Anonymous said...

You did a fabulous job - both with your artwork AND with your support of the Gallery as the show was being marketed and opened!

You are a pleasure to watch, a true professional with exceptional talent.

Lynne said...

WOW Pete, this is just a wow for so many reasons. Great to hear about how much you enjoy the variety of mediums and grand to hear of the first group of sales from the reception. Many more to follow I feel certain.
Congratulations!
Lynne

Anne Jenkins Art said...

Pete - thanks very much - it's a pleasure working with you! And such an inspiration.

Elizabeth Jones said...

Congratulations Pete! We are so proud of you. You are a true talent who has and will have inspired so many people far into the future. We are honored to have been your friends for so many years. The best of luck on your show.
Love always,
Liz and Wayne from PA.