Tuesday, October 7, 2008

October Art Musings

Creating Art For Autumn Shows

It's been an interesting summer with my preparation of pen and ink drawings for the Lyndon House "Common Structures" show in July-August. Doing black and white drawings was so apropos for the summer months here in Georgia. Such heavy green colors in the hot weather needed some stark pen and ink work to add a coolness to the art atmosphere. Now however we are entering the fall months and I have a showing of my new pieces at the Point of Art Gallery in Union Point starting the 9th of October and running through the 8th of November.

What to do to set up for up the autumn season? This show is entitled "Rural Georgia and the Vanishing South". The choice of Anne Jenkins, the gallery owner, not mine. It is so fitting for me since the name of my company is Vanishing Rural Georgia Art. There are several artists represented and they have all produced pieces that reflect the
southern rural heritage. Every artist is different and their
work reflects their diverse disciplines. An eclectic array of Southern art. The artists that will be showing with me at the Point of Art Gallery include Anne Jenkins, Nan McGarity, Ronald Moore, Will Estridge, and David Siffert. I feel great to be part of this group of fine artists.

Well, my work on these new paintings began in early September when I traveled to see my folks in Pennsylvania and brought along one of the pieces that I began to work on. That one ended up being my painting "On The Blocks" It was fun doing a painting where the sky is ominous and threatening while the sun is still shinning on the foreground. That was only one of several new paintings that I did in egg tempera especially for this show.

Working in egg tempera has always been a fairly slow process for me and I usually don't complete more than 6 pieces in a year, Not like the pen and inks where I did over 20 in a month and a half. This time however, I disciplined myself to work hard and long. I completed 7 new paintings in under 6 weeks. A major feat as I was sick with flu like symptoms for over 10 of those days. Well, that being said, I can only hope that fans of my work will like what they see. Even if their budget doesn't permit them to purchase an original egg tempera, I will have limited edition Giclée prints available after the show closes in early November.

Let me know what you think of my newest pieces. I am also working on 5 more egg tempera pieces and have 3 large oils in the wings.

Thanks for reading my blog.

Pete

2 comments:

Margo Candelario said...

As always Pete your work is astounding! Such attention to detail is a testament of your patience and awe inspiring talent. The mailbox is my favorite, had one of those until recent, my mail carrier left a note saying "The Olde South called, they want their Vanishing Mail Box Back" I know your show will be a great success.
~Margo~

Sally Ross said...

Looking forward to coming to the opening tomorrow in Union Point, Pete. Can't wait to see your new work! Sally Ross, Watkinsville