Saturday, June 7, 2008

Painting the Rural Scene

I have been drawing and painting ever since I can remember. I spent most of my formative years on a farm in rural Pennsylvania. Expressing my feelings about nature with pencil and paint came second nature to me. I would even sketch my father's friends when he would be playing cards. It was not until I was in 9th grade and learning structured art techniques under the guidance of my art teacher Andrew Palencar in 1961 that I discovered that my mother had a fine ability to draw, although my dad discouraged her from self expression. Her uncle Steve also drew and wrote books. I guess that this is where most of my creative spirit sprang from.

Andy Palencar started teaching me old master techniques, I was especially drawn to glazing. It was after I had been in the military for several months during the Vietnam conflict when I found out that one of my teachers had come to our house with the offer of a college scholarship in Architecture. It took me 12 years before I was finally able to return to school and work towards a degree in commercial art. During those 12 years I had traveled far and wide with the US Navy, went to many Navy schools and visited several countries. I kept drawing and painting in my spare time and did paintings for friends in Korea, Japan, and Vietnam as well as my fellow sailors and units. I visited many museums, read lots of books on art and it was a Navy friend, John Beckvermit, who gave me a copy of a book on egg tempera in 1982. I had dabbled in the medium before that but it was through reading this book, The Practice of Tempera Painting by Daniel V. Thompson, Jr., that I came to begin to understand the value and technique of working with egg tempera.

After 1982 my interest in this medium became intense and I worked with it every chance I could. I've painted on many surfaces including masonite, Strathmore illustration board, 300# watercolor paper in cold press and hot press, but m ost of my panels are prepared on cabinet grade birch plywood. I use rabbit skin glue for the sealer, tradition glue gesso for the white ground, and if the panel is thin, I will cradle the back. I have posted a detail of my preparation and working technique on my web site, http://www.petermuzyka.com.

I'll detail more of what and why I paint in future blog posts.

Thank you for reading my blog.

Pete

No comments: